Become a Therapeutic Foster Parent!
There is a tremendous need in Louisiana for therapeutic foster families that can not only handle a challenge, but WELCOME the challenge. If you believe in giving back to the community, are open to learning new things, and have a heart for helping heal children who have experienced a life of pain and trauma, being a therapeutic foster parent might just be perfect for you!
Therapeutic Foster Care (TFC) is a service provided by specially trained foster parents. The program’s mission is to provide care for children and adolescents whose significant emotional, behavioral or social issues, or medical needs cannot be met in their own home or at a lower level of care. TFC parents provide a safe and nurturing family setting to Louisiana’s most vulnerable and abused children and adolescents.
The TFC Program accepts referrals from the Department of Children & Family Services (DCFS) of children and adolescents from birth to 21 with the following needs:
- Emotional impairments
- Behavioral disorders
- Medically fragile
- History of multiple foster care placement disruptions
- Previous placement in psychiatric hospital, residential facility, or group home
- History of severe abuse/neglect
- History of sexual abuse
- History of human trafficking
Volunteers of America South Central Louisiana’s Therapeutic Foster Care team recruits, trains, certifies and supports children and families 24 hours a day/7 days a week. Families will be assigned a TFC case manager who will assist and support all aspects of treatment and growth for the child and foster parent(s).
We make sure our therapeutic foster parents have the training, knowledge, skills, and support they need to become successful foster parents and make a positive impact on a child’s life. Our commitment to you includes:
- Up to 39 hours of free pre-service training
- Monthly in-service training
- A highly competitive financial compensation package
- One-on-one training in your home once a child is placed
- In-home meetings with TFC staff
- Crisis intervention/management available 24 hours a day/7 days a week
- Networking opportunities with other VOASCLA TFC parents
- Recognition for exemplary performance
For more information, please contact us at (225) 928-9398.